Thursday, May 6, 2010

WHAT IS OIL PULLING?

Hi,  today I wanted to tell those of you who haven't tried it, what oil pulling is.  I've been doing it for about 3 years now, and yes I do it every day. 

How To Oil Pull

Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice.  Ayurveda means "the science of life," and is a traditional medicine that is Asian, specifically native to India.  It has become popular as an alternative medicine in the western world.

It is a very simple procedure, but very effective.  It involves taking one tablespoon of sunflower or sesame oil  nto the mouth on an empty stomach, and swishing it around the mouth, and "pulling" the oil through the teeth for about 20 minutes.  The oil should be a thin white liquid when you done and spit it out, if it isn't, and it is still thick or yellow you haven't done it for long enough. It is best done first thing in the morning, but can be completed anytime you haven't eaten or drunk or 3 hours. I recommend using only organic unrefined oils, but tradition doesn't require it.

You then spit the oil out, NEVER swallow it, because it is loaded with toxins and bacteria, that it removes from the body.  The mouth is very vascular so it is believed to be able to remove toxins because there is a vast  blood supply in the mouth.  It is best not to spit it in the sink since it is loaded with toxins and bacteria, and you don't want that in your sink.  It could also eventually clog up your drains, since it is oil.  I would recommend what I do.  I simply spit it in the garbage since I use a plastic liner, and usually have plenty of tissues and paper towels in the garbage to absorb the oil, so I never have a problem.  You will need to decide what's best for you to do in the method of discarding the oil.

The Benefits Of Oil Pulling 

Many believe numerous diseases can be heal by this process, and many have claimed cures from it.  I can't attest to that, but I do believe it is healing.  What I can attest to is the claim that it it whitens the teeth, and "anchors" loose teeth that are unstable and/or sensitive, and it improves the condition of the gums and the entire mouth.  Some people use other oils, but it is not recommended and may not work as well with other types of oils.  I occasionally use coconut oil when I've run out of the sesame, but quickly get the sesame and resume with that.

Right after you spit it out you are supposed to rinse with salt water, and then brush your teeth thoroughly.  I usually oil pull for about one hour, and then I rinse with salt water and then I brush with soap (that's a blog for another day).  You can brush with toothpaste, but please make sure it isn't one loaded with chemicals.  After that I scrap my tongue thoroughly, then I drink my lemon water, next filtered water, and then on to breakfast.  That's my morning routine.

Stick With It

At first it will be a little awkward since you can't speak during oil pulling, and it may seem like a long time, but after a while it does become second nature, and the time will go by quickly once it becomes a habit by practicing it regularly.  For me, on the rare occasions I have to skip it, I do miss it and don't really feel my mouth is as clean.  I hope you will give it a try, at least, to see what benefits you will gain from it.

Good Health and Wealth,

Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment